Cooper, Barton & Cooper is always seeking talented professionals including legal assistants, paralegals and staff that will be an asset to our firm. Cooper, Barton & Cooper provides equal employment opportunities for all our employees in compliance with state and federal laws, and without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national original, age, disability, citizenship or marital status. Please click on the apply now button to submit your application.
Legal Assistant/ Paralegal Position
Cooper, Barton & Cooper LLP seeks a legal assistant/paralegal to join our busy and growing firm. The successful candidate will be able to provide quality service and assistance to our attorneys, staff, and clients. The ideal candidate is professional, organized, diligent, reliable, and responsible for helping us to meet client expectations. Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Greet clients
- Complete intake interview for prospective clients
- Make and take phone calls from clients, clerks’ offices, opposing counsel, judges, and other members of the court system, etc.
- Maintain contact lists
- Maintain electronic and physical client files
- Monitor deadlines and oversee calendars for attorneys
- Prepare and file entry of appearance letters, conflict letters, basic correspondence, and other court documents for our criminal defense team including initial discovery requests
- Monitor deadlines and assist our criminal defense team with scheduling and calendaring appointments, meetings, and court appearances
- Draft, transcribe, proofread, e-file court documents, and prepare a memorandum and related correspondences for our civil litigation attorneys
- Enter time and expenses into our Billing Software (TABS)
Qualifications and Experience:
- 2+ years experience as a legal assistant or paralegal, either in civil litigation, business litigation, or criminal defense required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, CM/ECF, Pacer, PeachCourt, and Odyssey E-File.
- Familiarity with TABS and GSCCCA (preferred, but not required)
- Working knowledge of litigation management software
- Must be able to transcribe dictation, summarize depositions, etc.
- Knowledge of the legal court system, judicial assistants, clerks’ offices in and around Georgia is a plus
- Professional and pleasant when making and taking calls from clients, members of the court system, etc.
- Knowledge of day-to-day operations of a law firm
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Proficiency in English required, knowledge of other languages is a plus
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic and a team player attitude