Macon Drug Possession Attorney
Defending Against Drug Possession Charges in Georgia
A conviction for drug possession can have lasting and devastating effects on your life. It can greatly affect your ability to find housing, employment, and education. It can even affect your ability to acquire a driver's license. At Cooper, Barton & Cooper, we know how to get results. Our Macon drug possession attorneys understand the complexities of Georgia's drug possession laws and are devoted to protecting your rights and fighting for the best possible result in your case.
Call Cooper, Barton & Cooper today at (478) 202-7050 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug possession lawyer in Macon.
What is Drug Possession?
Drug possession is the unlawful possession or control of controlled substances or illegal drugs. In Georgia, drug possession charges can encompass a wide range of substances, that includes but not limited to marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, and prescription medications without a valid prescription. Possession can be actual, where the drugs are found on your person or in your immediate control, or constructive, where the drugs are discovered in an area you control, such as your vehicle or home.
What are the Penalties for Drug Possession in Georgia?
The penalties for drug possession in Georgia may differ depending on several factors, including the type and quantity of the drug, your prior criminal history, and the circumstances of your arrest. Generally, Georgia law categorizes drugs into schedules, with Schedule I drugs being considered the most dangerous and Schedule V drugs the least. Penalties for drug possession may include:
- Misdemeanor Possession: Possession of a small amount of marijuana (less than an ounce) is typically classified as a misdemeanor. Penalties may include fines, probation, and up to one year in jail.
- Felony Possession: Possession of most other controlled substances is classified as a felony. Felony drug possession convictions can result in substantial fines, probation, and significant prison time, depending on the drug's schedule and quantity.
- Possession with Intent to Distribute: If it is alleged that you intended to distribute the drugs, the penalties become even more severe. This can lead to mandatory minimum sentences and lengthy prison terms.
- Prior Convictions: If you have prior drug convictions, your penalties may be enhanced, leading to longer prison sentences.
- Probation: In some cases, probation may be offered in lieu of jail or prison time, but it comes with strict conditions and supervision.
- Fines: You may be required to pay substantial fines and other penalties.
- Driver's License Suspension: Convictions for drug possession can also result in the suspension of your driver's license.
Defenses Against Drug Possession Charges
Some potential defenses against drug possession charges include:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement conducted an illegal search or seizure violating your Fourth Amendment rights, the evidence may be suppressed, leading to a dismissal of your case.
- Lack of Possession: The prosecution must prove that you knew and controlled the drugs. It could be a viable defense if you were oblivious of the drugs' presence or did not have control over them.
- Valid Prescription: If you had prescription medications, but you had a valid prescription for them, this can be a strong defense against drug possession charges.
- Chain of Custody Issues: We can scrutinize the evidence and ensure proper procedures were followed to handle and store the drugs in question.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement induced you to execute a drug crime that you would not have otherwise executed, it could be considered entrapment and serve as a defense.
- Evidence Suppression: Challenging the reliability or admissibility of evidence against you can be an effective defense strategy.
Contact Our Drug Possession Lawyer in Macon Today
Contact Cooper, Barton & Cooper today to schedule a consultation with our Macon drug possession attorneys. We will provide you with the aggressive representation and personalized legal guidance you deserve to navigate this challenging time in your life. Don't wait; let us begin building your defense strategy today. Your freedom and future are at stake.
Contact Cooper, Barton & Cooper today to get started with our Macon drug possession attorney.
“Professional, Empathetic and Willing to help”- Mallory
“GREAT Job on Corporate Work”- Jim
“Truly believes in the client”- Antonio